EYELID SURGERY (BLEPHAROPLASTY)
Top New York plastic surgeon Dr. Darrick Antell is board certified in plastic surgery, emphasizing aesthetic / cosmetic surgery. One of the plastic surgery procedures he performs is plastic surgery of the eyelids or Blepharoplasty.
Blepharoplasty is designed to remove the excess fat, skin and muscle from the upper and lower eyelids. If you are considering Blepharoplasty, this section will give you a basic understanding of the procedure.
What is Blepharoplasty?
Blepharoplasty refers to eyelid surgery and is designed to remove the excess fat, along with skin and muscle, from the upper and lower eyelids. It is the second most common aesthetic procedure performed by plastic surgeons.
What are the goals of Eyelid Plastic Surgery?
A properly performed blepharoplasty procedure will brighten the face and restore a more youthful appearance. In some patients the procedure will improve vision by removing the excessive skin of the upper eyelids which can hang down and interfere with peripheral vision.
How is Eyelid Surgery Performed?
Eyelid surgery is usually performed using local anesthesia and light intravenous sedation. It is commonly done in a doctor’s office, outpatient surgical center or, in some cases, in a hospital. The procedure is most often performed on an outpatient basis.
Are there scars from Eyelid Plastic Surgery?
Scars are a result of any surgical procedure. The incisions made to accomplish the goals of the procedure are barely visible after several months as they are placed within the normal creases and folds of the upper and lower eyelids. In patients who only need removal of fat from the lower eyelids, the incision can be made on the inside of the eyelid, and will therefore result in an invisible scar.
Will the fine wrinkles around my eyes go away after Eyelid Surgery? What about my sagging eyebrows and dark circles under my eyes?
The Blepharoplasty procedure will not eradicate the wrinkles around the eyes (crow’s feet) nor will it elevate droopy eyebrow. There are other procedures designed for these purposes. Dark circles under the eyes may improve a bit if this is related to large bags, but most often the dark appearance of the lower eyelid skin remains.
Can anyone have Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids?
The best patients are those who are healthy, psychologically stable and well motivated. Some medical conditions may increase the risk of Blepharoplasty surgery such as thyroid disease, high blood pressure, and patients who do not make sufficient tears to keep their eyes well lubricated.
What are the risks involved with Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids?
Fortunately, when performed by a competent plastic surgeon, complications are infrequent and minor. All patients will experience some bruising and swelling for a few days after the surgery. In addition, a temporary problem with closure of the eyelids is usually seen. Some may have temporary blurring of their vision, usually due to the ointments applied to the incisions post operatively. In rare instances, the lower eyelid may be pulled down causing an ectropion. If this does not resolve on its own, further surgery may be necessary. The theoretical complications of any surgical procedure, such as bleeding, infection, wound disruption and heavy scarring are also possible, but rare.
How to get started?
Dr. Darrick E. Antell and his staff will be happy to discuss Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) with you. Please call for a private consultation or schedule an appointment online at our office.
Related Patient Testimonials
- Outstanding experience & outcome. Have recommended you to many friends and family. Keep up the good work!
- From initial interviews to surgery completion I was totally satisfied with the results. As a result I trust Dr. Antell and his procedures. When and if I plan further surgery I will return with full confidence to Dr. Antell and his friendly competent staff.
- Always Excellent…lovely, professional staff as well!
- Best thing I ever did. I look so much younger and prettier. You did exactly what you promised!
- Dr. Antell is caring, patient, & has a wonderful way about him.
- You made me feel extremely comfortable and relaxed in the procedure. Results were beyond my expectations.
- One of the best experiences of my life – medical or personal. Amazing service, staff, results. Dr. Antell is truly a master of his craft – and I feel very fortunate to have him as a doctor.
- Dr. Antell was very patient and took to answer all my questions.
- You are the best
- The kindness you get from everyone in the office is outstanding. Thank you.
- Professional, courteous service